Newcastle target Joao Pedro is not in Watford’s squad today to face Preston North End at Deepdale. The 20-year-old has been ruled out with a minor calf injury according to Watford.
?? João Pedro is out with a minor calf injury, while Keinan Davis is not yet ready for the game.#WatfordFC
– Watford Football Club (@WatfordFC) August 20, 2022
Pedro did not travel with the rest of the team on Friday. He reportedly underwent a CT scan on his injury, which was initially believed to be pain in his ankle. The 20-year-old had started Watford’s first four matches.
Newcastle are considering a third offer for Pedro after rejecting two offers last week. The last was £22m plus £3m in add-ons. Watford are said to value their striker at over £30m.
There was no trace of panic when the topic of income was brought up with Eddie Howe yesterday. Howe said the following as published in The Chronicle:
“I try to be positive and look at the deals we’ve done. We didn’t add a lot of players, but I think we added quality, that’s the main thing.
“It’s very easy to sign different players and names that get everyone excited, but the reality is the result and what you’re left with is the strength of the team and the team.”
“The three players we added have definitely added to the squad and added to the group off the pitch as well as in terms of team spirit and group mentality.
“Very positive about the business we’ve been able to do and of course we’re always looking to add the other way.”
Newcastle were forced to move from a number of attacking targets due to inflated quotes and rejected offers. Pedro is last on the agenda with a third offer looking likely.